Master class 2017, international and interdisciplinary workshop
Densification of the city districts with CLT modular elements
After a successful premiere of the Master class, Urban renewal of a school with CLT modular elements in 2016 we are continuing with the project in this year. The title of the Master class 2017 is Densification of the city districts with CLT modular elements. In this year, we brought the topic even closer to the collaborating countries. The selected students of architecture and civil engineering from University of Zagreb and University of Ljubljana will have to develop a concept of densification and transformation of the districts in Zagreb and Ljubljana.
In Zagreb, the students will be designing the transformation of the area surrounded by streets Petraciceva, A. Zaje and Kucerina. They have to prepare a concept for a hybrid building (offices plus residential area) with usage of CLT modular elements.
In Ljubljana, the district that students have to transform within the Master class is called Stare Moste. This is a small area, remains of an old village consisting of the old one-family houses, with agricultural facilities. The area is located nearby the center of Ljubljana, surrounded with multi-dwelling buildings and the industrial buildings. Due to its location and structure the area has a big potential in being transformed into a modern houses settlement with using CLT elements.
Master class 2017, Program
- 13th March beginning of the Master class in Zagreb, lectures by invited professors from TU Graz
- 14th March beginning of the Master class in Ljubljana, lectures by invited professors from TU Graz
- March one session of the lectures made by their local professors (architect + civil engineer)
- March, April, May students working on their projects; weekly (twice per week) consultation with their local professors
- 21st April Excusion in Graz and intermediate consultation with the Prof. Schickhofer and Prof. Gangoly at TU Graz
- 8th May one session of the lectures made by experts from practice (Arch. DI Simon Speigner, sps-architekten & DI Dr.-techn. Richard Woschitz, Woschitz Engineering) at the University of Ljubljana
- 11th May one session of the lectures made by experts from practice (Arch. DI Simon Speigner, sps-architekten & DI Dr.-techn. Richard Woschitz, Woschitz Engineering) at the University of Zagreb
- 18th May second session of the consultations with the Prof. Schickhofer and Prof. Gangoly in Zagreb
- 19th May second session of the consultations with the Prof. Schickhofer and Prof. Gangoly in Ljubljana
- 8th June final presentations in Ljubljana
- 12th June final presentations in Zagreb
- September one-month internship for the authors of the winning project in Austria
Presentations by H. Gangoly and G. Schickhofer, 13th and 14th March
Master class 2016 publication: The final results
Concept Master class 2017
Master class 2017 publication: Final results
In June the final presentations of the student’s work made within the Master class in Slovenia and Croatia will take place.31.05.2017
The participating students from Ljubljana and Zagreb came to Graz on 21st of April, to the intermediate consultations and to visit two marvelous examples of the wooden construction.02.05.2017
Urban renewal of the school with CLT modular elements.
Under the professional guidance, the 24 students designed in 10 interdisciplinary groups a concept of the renovation of a school built in the urban area of Graz. Programm and Blogs to Master class 2016.
Collaboration: TU Graz, University of Maribor and University of Zagreb
Additions to the Master class
- Woodday presenting the results of the Master class, exhibition of the designs and a round table about modularity and CLT elements.
- Internship at the Institute of Timber Engineering and Wood Technology, TU Graz and the Institute for Design and Architectural Typologies, TU Graz for the best students, selected on the final event of the Master class.
Master class is organised by proHolz Austria in collaboration with
- TU Graz
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Schickhofer, Institute of Timber Engineering and Wood Technology
Prof. Hans Gangoly & Dipl.-Ing. Eva Sollgruber Institute for Design and Architectural Typologies
- University of Ljubljana
Prof. Dr. Roman Kunic, Prof. Dr. Bostjan Brank
Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering
Prof. Dr. Marusa Zorec
Faculty of Architecture
- University of Zagreb
Prof. Dr. Sc. Vlatka Rajcic
Faculty of Civil Engineering
Prof. Dr. Sc. Sanja Filep, Prof. Ivica Plavec,
Faculty of Architecture